Consumers flock to the web for health information.
This post is part of our #AdContext Matters series.
They look online to check symptoms, research treatments, learn about prevention, and share experiences. But an advertiser selling an arthritis drug needs a very different strategy from one selling pre-natal vitamins. And buying those types of third party audiences can be both expensive and unscalable. That’s where contextual targeting comes it. It can help you carve out the most relevant content for your target audience and even look beyond traditional health-related information to reach your ideal consumer.
Here are four ways health brands can use Peer39’s contextual targeting to connect with the right consumers at the right time:
- Target granular health subjects across websites. While many news sites have general “Health” inventory, simply buying that package from a publisher can be too general. Contextual targeting can help you focus in on relevant subcategories related to your topic, such as Alternative Medicine, Conditions & Diseases, Dental Health, Diet & Fitness, Men’s Health, Women’s Health, Sexual Health, Mental Health, and even Optical Issues.
- Focus on specific conditions or diseases. Pages about specific health issues like allergies, cancer, or heart disease not only attract people who are personally affected in some way, but also those interested in prevention. You can be confident that your message will be hyper- relevant, so be sure to make your ad’s headline or call to action is specific to the topic at hand.
- Reevaluate what’s unsafe. While any negative news content has the potential to damage a brand, there are topics that health brands in particular might want to avoid. Media topics such as tobacco, illegal drugs, and death can create unpalatable contrasts – and proper contextual targeting can ensure you exclude them.
- Think like your target customer. New and expectant parents, for example, pore over content related to infant care, behavior, development, and more. If you are advertising things like flu shots, children’s health insurance, or pediatric pharmaceuticals to health-minded parents, general parenting content will help you reach the right audience in the right frame of mind.
With so much health content available online, contextual targeting provides a way for health brands to achieve both reach and relevancy while staying brand safe. Peer39 can help you develop a healthy contextual strategy that puts your ads exactly where they need to be.
Additional #AdContext Matters pieces:
- Join the #AdContext Matters Revolution!
- It’s Time to Bring Context Back to Advertising
- Why #ContextMatters—Ad Wins and Fails
- #ContextMatters and Video: A View Is a View Is a View – or Is It?
- The Underrated Power Of Context In Political Advertising
- The Untapped Opportunity Behind Real-Time Weather Data
- Four Ways Contextual Targeting Revs Up Auto Ads’ Effectiveness
- 3 Context Targeting Tips for Entertainment Advertisers
- Four Contextual Targeting Tips for Health Brands
- 4 Powerful Reasons for Financial Services Companies to Use Contextual Targeting
- 5 Contextual Targeting Tips for Food and Beverage Brands
- 4 Ways Savvy Tech Brands Use Contextual Targeting
- 4 Reasons Apparel Marketers Absolutely Need to Target by Context